Bircher Muesli (VG, GF possible)
Serves 4. Preparation time: 5 minutes.
This is a quick Swiss-style muesli that is nutritious and delicious. It is a great breakfast dish for the summer. Best of all, it requires no cooking! To make it vegan, use soy milk and soy yogurt. To make it gluten-free, use McCann's oats.
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds or coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 medium to large cored Granny Smith apple, coarsely grated with the skin
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen berries (a mixture with cherries works well)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 cup cold yogurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice (can use bottled juice as well)
- Mix all the ingredients well in a large bowl.
- The muesli can be eaten right away but the flavors blend and improve when chilled in the fridge for several hours or overnight. This keeps well in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days.