Vegetables can be gorgeous, scrumptious, and easy to prepare. We hope you will enjoy this quick sauté dish as much as we do. We have it hot, warm, or room temperature and it stays well in the fridge for a couple of days. In our home, the zesty broccoli and sugar snap peas are served on the side with veggie burgers and a bean salad. The harissa used in this recipe is Shi’mon Ariche Harissa Forte Extra Hot. The dish is also a great side dish for any meal or served as a meze.
- 8 oz sugar snap peas (about 2 cups: trim and remove the strings, if any)
- 1 ½ lbs broccoli (about 3 to 3 ½ cups or 1 ½ florets or chunks)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon harissa in oil (or to taste)
If you do not have harissa, with a pestle and mortar grind into a paste 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper (or to taste), and ¼ teaspoon of kosher or coarse salt. Then work in 2 teaspoons of oil. Use this mixture instead of harissa.
- In a large microwave-proof bowl, toss the vegetables with water. Cover with a large dish and steam on full power for 2-4 minutes, till the vegetables steam and are crispy tender. Remove the cover and let cool while you get the sauté pan heated.
- Heat the oil large sauté pan (use one with a lid that will be used later). When it is hot add the nigella and sesame seeds. As soon as they start moving, after few seconds, add the harissa. Mix it in well.
- Immediately, toss the vegetables in and stir so that they are well coated with the oil and seeds. Cover and cook for 2-4 minutes till they are cooked to your liking.
- Uncover the pan and transfer the vegetables to a serving dish or glass storage container. Serve immediately or cool to room temperature and refrigerate in an air-tight container.