Dried fava beans are widely used in Middle Eastern cooking and this recipe is our version of ful medames. The beans may not look as attractive as other more neat-looking beans but these fava beans have a delicious, nutty, buttery texture and flavor. It is a refreshing dish in the summer with the Mediterranean flavors of garlic, olive oil, and lemon. The flavors improve after a few hours. Make extra for the next day as the dish keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days.
If you cannot get fava beans, canned pinto beans are also very good in this recipe. Pinto beans also save some time because they don’t have a tough skin.
- 1 15 oz can of fava beans
- ½ cup tomato diced small (1 small or ½ medium sized tomato)
- ½ cup cucumber diced small (1 small seedless/Persian cucumber)
- ½ cup coriander OR flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 clove garlic OR ¼ teaspoon powdered garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander-cumin powder
- Drain the fava beans and remove the tough skins by pinching them off. Wash the skinned beans in cold water and drain well.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- To the hot oil, add the garlic and sauté till lightly golden and fragrant.
- Add the fava beans, salt, pepper, chili powder, and coriander-cumin powder. Stir well and let it cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes till beans are heated through and spices have blended in.
- While the beans are cooking, dice the tomatoes, cucumber, and coriander or parsley.
- Let the beans cool in a bowl for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and the lemon juice. Toss well. Taste the beans and adjust seasoning. You may want more lemon juice—some like it tart, some not. You can always serve it with wedges of lemon.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours before serving cold or at room temperature. Serve with pita or fresh bread, a salad, and veggie burger patties. It is also yummy with corn chips, served as salsa.
Serves 4 as a side dish or appetizer. Preparation and cooking time: 20 minutes.