How does one know if a particular meditation practice is working? Here are 11 initial markers of progress:
1. The breath becomes rhythmic.
2. The breath slows down.
3. The awareness begins to settle on the breath flow, mantra, or any other point of focus.
4. Focus improves as the mind wanders away less from the point of focus.
5. The breath becomes subtle, harder to detect.
6. There is an awareness of different feelings and sensations in the body.
7. Heightened awareness of everything one does. This may be periodic, not constant.
8. Less reactive behavior.
9. Body becomes less fidgety during the day, it is more still.
10. The need to compare and judge is diminished; there is greater empathy.
11. People notice a change.
Leave a Reply