Delicate fennel and sweet oranges go well together to make a very refreshing, light salad. If you like onions, go ahead and add some thinly sliced red onions or some chopped scallion greens. We prefer ours without onions.
Chill for 2 to 8 hours hours for the flavors to blend and the fennel to become crispy tender. The orange juice, lemon juice and salt will “cook” the fennel by softening it but it will still retain a crisp texture.
- 2 cups of very thinly sliced fennel (remove tough stems, tough core, shave tough leaves with a potato peeler and save some fronds)
- Segments of two large oranges (squeeze the juice from the membranes on the oranges)
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- handful of dried cranberries (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smooth mustard (sometimes I leave all the mustard out)
- ½ teaspoon coarse mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoon good olive oil
- Whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the orange, fennel and dried cranberrries in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing, toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Serves 6. Preparation time: 15-20 minutes.