A colorful, flavorful, and quick salad, a tomato salad is so refreshing on a hot day. At the peak of tomato season, when heirloom tomatoes are on sale, we get a medley of mini heirloom tomatoes with beautiful shades of red, gold, orange, yellow and purple. They look gorgeous. Other times, we just get what is available.
- 2 cups chopped tomato chunks, about ½ inch in size (slice cherry tomatoes in half)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons raw sugar or brown sugar
- tiny pinch of red chili powder
- tiny pinch asafoetida (optional)
- Toss everything together in a pretty bowl and serve.
- The salad can be made a couple of hours ahead and chilled. This will release juices from the tomatoes, but they are delicious with bread, rice, anything.
Serves 4. Preparation time: 5 minutes.